PETRONAS has reported a gas discovery from the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417 Production Sharing Contract (PSC), located in the shallow waters of the Baram Province, roughly 90 kilometres off the coast of Sarawak, offshore Malaysia.
PTTEP HK Offshore Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited, is the operator for Block SK417 PSC with 80 per cent participating interest while PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of PETRONAS holds the remaining 20 per cent. The PSC was signed in March 2018 as a result from the Malaysia Bid Round 2017.
The Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,810 metres in mid-January 2021. The discovery of a gas column measuring more than 80 metres in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI-VII reservoirs further validates the potential of the remaining prospects in Baram Province.
PETRONAS said the finding of contaminant-free gas in Dokong-1 not only revives Baram shallow clastics play but also proves the presence of more sweet gas opportunities within the area.
PETRONAS Senior Vice President of Malaysia Petroleum Management, Mohamed Firouz Asnan, said: “The Dokong-1 exploration well is one of several recent successes in Malaysia’s exploration activities. Monetisation of sweet gas discovery in Baram Province can be supported through existing infrastructure and will contribute towards PETRONAS’ aspiration in delivering reliable, stable and cleaner energy supply to domestic and global markets.”
“In addition, the Dokong-1 discovery reinvigorates the entire exploration landscape of the Baram Province, strengthening the role of Baram gas supply network as part of the larger Sarawak gas system. PETRONAS, together with the PSC parties, are currently undertaking further evaluation to determine the full extent of the discovery.”
A second exploration well will also be drilled in the middle of this year as part of the exploration campaign.