As Operator, Woodside Energy Ltd. (Woodside) has awarded a contract to Boskalis Australia Pty Ltd (Boskalis) to undertake seabed intervention and shore crossing works for the proposed Scarborough export gas pipeline.
The Scarborough gas resource is located approximately 375 kilometres west-north-west off the Burrup Peninsula in the Carnarvon Basin and is part of the Greater Scarborough gas fields – estimated to hold 9.2 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of (2C, 100 per cent) dry gas.
The Greater Scarborough gas fields include Thebe (1.4 Tcf, 2C, 100 per cent), Jupiter (0.5 Tcf, 2C, 100 per cent) and Scarborough (7.3 Tcf (2C, 100 per cent).
Woodside is proposing to initially develop the Scarborough resource with seven subsea, high-rate gas wells, tied back to a semi-submersible floating production unit moored in 900 metres of water close to the Scarborough field.
Gas would be transported by an approximately 430-kilometre pipeline to existing LNG infrastructure on the Burrup Peninsula.
The contract –
Under the new contract, Boskalis is positioned to conduct preparatory activities related to offshore deep-water excavation, pipeline crossings, nearshore and shore crossing works for the export trunkline which connects Scarborough to onshore processing infrastructure.
The execution of the in-field work is subject to a positive final investment decision being taken on the project by the Scarborough Joint Venture (Woodside holds 75 per cent interest and BHP Billiton Petroleum Pty Ltd holds the remaining 25 per cent interest).
The contractor is expected to mobilise specialist excavation and rock placement equipment for the complex scope, presenting a substantial local employment component. The scope also includes the supply of rock material.
Woodside CEO, Peter Coleman, said the award of the seabed intervention contract is another step towards unlocking the value of the Scarborough gas resource.
“Western Australia has played a vital role in supplying resources to the world and that role is now more important than ever as we are faced with the dual challenge of providing extra energy and cleaner energy for global and domestic markets,” he said.
A final investment decision on the project is expected to occur in 2020 and ready for start-up (RFSU) in 2023.