The Western Australian Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) has recommended approval for the State component of a liquid natural gas (LNG) pipeline that forms a part of the Scarborough Gas Field Project.
In December 2018, the Scarborough Project Nearshore Component (the proposal) was referred to the EPA by Woodside Energy Ltd on behalf of their Joint Venture Partners.
The proposal involves the installation of a gas trunkline (approximately 32.7 kilometres long within State waters), located adjacent to the existing Pluto LNG Facility 8 kilometres northeast of Dampier in the Pilbara, Western Australia, along with associated activities required to construct the trunkline.
On Monday, EPA Chair Dr Tom Hatton announced the EPA has completed its assessment of Woodside Energy’s State waters component of a 434-kilometre long pipeline which will link the Scarborough Gas Field Project with the Pluto LNG Facility on the Burrup Peninsula.
He detailed that during the EPA’s consideration, it looked carefully at environmental impacts particularly around coral communities, water quality, social and cultural values, and marine species within the development envelope.
“As a precautionary measure, the EPA has recommended management plans to avoid and minimise the direct and indirect environmental impacts,” Dr Hatton advised.
The portion of the Scarborough project within State waters – and therefore the proposal under assessment by the EPA – is expected to have minimal greenhouse gas emissions as it is a short-term trunkline construction project.
The remaining portion of the Scarborough project that is within Commonwealth waters will be assessed by the Australian Government, under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, which includes the consideration of greenhouse gas emissions.
The EPA’s report on the Scarborough Project Nearshore Component to the Minister for Environment is now open for a two week public appeal period, closing on 20 January 2020. Appeals can be made at www.appealsconvenor.wa.gov.au
The Minister for Environment will make the final decision on the proposal.
EPA Report 1664 on the Scarborough proposal can be found here.
Woodside Energy (Operator) holds 75 per cent interest in the Scarborough Project and BHP holds the remaining 25 per cent interest.